WORCESTER, MA

5/04/2011

Belmont Vegetarian: Holding Its Own In Worcester


Belmont Vegetarian (157 Belmont St. Worcester) is an American and Jamaican inspired vegan restaurant that served it up at both the 2010 & 2011 Worcester VegFest. Belmont Veg was recently featured in a Telegram & Gazette article, with a rad photo of owner, Steve holding a huge platter of vegan delicious-ness.

I love Steve's personality, his humble philosophy, and his amazing vegan food. At Belmont Veg you choose which plate size you want (small, medium, large) and then choose whichever yummy items off the menu you'd like to fill it with. The menu changes often, scrawled on a chalk-board next to the ordering window, but usually has some variation of a few of the same choices.

Today I got a huge container with Macaroni & Soy Cheese, Vegetable Stew, BBQ Steak, Chick Pea & Soy Chunks, and Rice. Other common menu items include vegan Pepper Steak, Vegetable Patties, Lasagna, curry chicken dishes, and vegan burgers.

Belmont Veg is street parking only, but is really easy to find. It is located right on Route 9 next to Umass Memorial Medical Center, and close to the 290 ramps.  The actual ambiance isn’t the best so it’s more of a take-out establishment or eat-in for a quick lunch with your buddies.

The plate I had was full of different spices and textures, and came off as comfort food with a twist. Though veggie dishes are available (and some fresh juices may be in Belmont Veg’s future…), I’m used to getting my salads in (salad is my go-to order at every non-veg eatery obviously), so I’ll take vegan mac & cheese or BBQ any day of the week! 

There is something special about this place… flavorful and hearty with a style that reminds me of home cookin’. I’ll be back for more since Belmont Veg is surely holding its own, unique amongst the growing veg-eats community in Worcester. 

1 comment:

  1. It is so yummy! You just can't go wrong eating here! It's so nice to have something that can FOOL the best carnivores out there & they LIKE it too & you can all share the same meal together. I've heard a rumour.. that some folks have gone VEGAN because of Belmont Veg--It's that good!

    ReplyDelete